Friday, December 19, 2014

Christmas for an 8 Month Old


I said we were not going to overdo it.  My husband said we were not going to overdo it.  We agreed not to overdo it and made a list of a few gifts.  We even discussed the whole idea of 1) something to wear 2)something you need 3)something you want 4)something to read

...then we went shopping.

Now, I’m not saying I spent an astronomical amount of money on my 8 month old’s first Christmas AND some of the stuff she needs (or at least mommy and daddy need her to need...BUT...when Aria would be just as happy if she unwrapped a box with a plastic cup and some crunchy tissue paper, it puts gift giving in a little more perspective.

So, without further ado, here is what in the minds of Aria’s mommy and daddy are good Christmas presents for an 8 month old.

Columbia Fleece Jacket: I thought I’d start with the needs.  I got her a jacket for next Fall/Winter when it was on sale.  I think I’ve actually had the jacket for 3 months or so.  I got Aria’s at Belk.

Alphabet Floor Mat: Another “need.”  We have hardwood floors downstair and 3 dogs.  I need Aria to have a mat to play on so that I can sit her down and know she won’t be immediately covered with dog hair.  Yes, I know that the same thing could be accomplished with daily swiffering of my floors and a blanket, but I don’t swiffer my floors like I should...therefore, this one was also a “need.”

The Day the Crayons Quit: A lot of my co-workers (other teachers) have been recommending this book.  I know she is a little small to understand it right now, but we can add it to the collection.  Since mommy is an English teacher, Aria has quite a book collection already.  She’s getting another book, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name.  It was about the Sophie giraffe.  Aria loves her Sophie giraffe.  

I also got her a couple of little toys.  I settled on The Fisher Price Xylophone and the Fisher Price Rock a Stack just so she could have a couple little toys to play with.  I knew she was getting a few other interactive things from family members, so I thought these would be good.  I also got the Fisher Price Crawling Minnie because one of her great grandmothers has one at her house and Aria loves it.

Then...I got a little crazy…

The Olaf Cuddle Pillow: Yeah, this made its way into my Amazon shopping cart.  Aria has seen Frozen twice if you count the two times I saw it while she was still in the baking stage.  She’s never actually watched it.  I am convinced she heard the music though because the first time I saw it was the first time I felt lots of fluttering in my belly.  So, Olaf is sitting beside the Christmas tree.

And finally, I purchased the Playskool Let’s Imagine Elmo.  Yes, I know the box say ages 2+.  Yes, I know she has no idea who Elmo is or what he is saying.  I know, I know, but OMG it is so cute!  Elmo will talk like a pirate if you put the pirate hat on him.  That and it made her smile when I played with it in Target, so she’ll be getting that too.  

I also saw the idea on Pinterest to give your child a gift on Christmas Eve with Christmas jamjams, a Christmas movie, hot chocolate, a snack, etc.  We are going to do this too, but on December 23 with just the jamjams and a Christmas counting book.

So...there you have it.  Two grown adults with a plan completely succombing to the commercialization of Christmas and the cuteness of all things baby.  However, regardless of how crazy we may have gotten about presents, I am so excited to see how she acts opening them.  I have no idea what she might be like.  She did “help” me wrap a few presents (and by help I mean try to unwrap) so maybe she’ll get excited a little...at least about the crinkle noise of the paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment